Friday, October 15, 2010

When to MOVE TO, IN, and ON

These past two weeks went by with much ordeals for me - as a mom, teacher, and lover - despite my intention of spending the rest of the semester stress-free.  For starters, I watched almost 200 episodes of Detective Conan and the first 2 episodes of my favorite serial killer - Dexter: proofs that I really wanted to rest.  But during these days, I encountered people and circumstances which seemingly defy my intentions.


MOVE TO:
My lease contract with the apartment in Nirvana St. is supposed to end this 30th of October, but last night we finally moved to the apartment in Elias Street.  My kids are not really excited about it which I fully understand since this has been our 3rd movement in 5 years, making it difficult for my son and daughter to establish worthwhile friendship at home.  My kids would rather watch movies on the dvd or play in the computer/internet the whole day than play games outside with other children.  It's good at a certain point specially for me as an overprotective mom because I dont have to worry about my kids' safety, and I always see to it that I monitor what they watch/browse/play.  On the otherhand, I know that it's somewhat bad for their social development.  I always talk to my kids about my childhood days, how I spent almost half of my waking hours on the street playing with all the kids in the neighborhood, how I have climbed all the trees, played all sorts of street games, and listened to horror stories on moonlit nights.  This apartment in Elias St. is just a few steps away from the house where I spent my growing years in, the very reason why I'm the only one excited about this move.  Now I can back my childhood escapades stories up with places and people from my old neighborhood.  With this, I hope my children will get to experience how great it is to be a child playing with others, learn good lessons in life, and develop good values from this exposure.

MOVE IN:
It's been 5years since my bf moved in with my kids and I. It's sad to note that the main reason why we needed to transfer was due to the dangers of his business, or so that's how I'd like to put it.  But there has been so many ugly scenes that has taken place in our previous houses, and it's so hard for me not to see them playing over and over again on my mind.  In my attempt to forget these ugly moments, I'd decide to move to another place.  I always tell my students that if you get really hurt when you pass by a certain street, then by all means look for another way around.  Enduring exposure to whatever causes discomfort and pain when there are obvious options of preventing the experience can be clearly viewed as an unhealthy practice.  By nature, man is driven to seek pleasure and happiness.  If he derives pleasure and happiness from experiencing pain and discomfort, that can somehow be counted as onset of masochism.  It becomes full-blown masochism if this pleasure extends to provide sexual satisfaction. Now, that's not normal, and simply scary.

MOVE ON:
Now this one, we always hear. Two days ago a former student of mine visited me and I immediately noticed the significant drop in her weight and changes in appearance.  Later she disclosed that her bf of several years left her for ANOTHER MAN. At first I didn't know how to help her, I can't find the right words to tell her, for I have never had that kind of problem in my life.  Then she asked if there is any medication  I know of that could help her sleep and function productively since the breakup has affected her so much that she even lost her job because of poor performance.  Of course, I cannot and did not give her any idea of medication for that since I'm not an MD, but I started to help her get back on the track by telling her how it's normal to be hurt by that experience, and that two months of depression is enough, and she should start moving on.  It's sad how some people would endure humiliation and pain for LOVE.  We talked for sometime and I really hope I was able to help her with that.

CONCLUSION:
Change is permanent and imminent.  We should always be ready to move - in, to, out, or on.  Accepting the truth that there is a bigger hand that drives our wheel of destiny can greatly help us make the necessary preparation for any of life's changes.  Anticipate the constant need to change for the better - even if the predisposing conditions are bad, it should make us better persons.

1 comment:

  1. super agree ako sa conclusion mo mam!!! very well said!!! oldo minsan masakit tlga tanggapin ang mga bagay na kailangang baguhin pro kung un ang mkakapag bbgay sa atin ng kapanatagan ng loob gagawin nating baguhin... i learned again from this mam, na remind ako..thank u mam..

    ReplyDelete